5k & 10kREGISTER ONLINE
4 m & 1 m
4m & 2m
5k & 1 mile fun run
10K & 2 Mile Fun Run/Walk
The Southern Arizona Roadrunners is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to promoting health and fitness in Tucson and Southern Arizona through running and walking. Join today!
A super-fast and flat 8K & 3K on the beautiful University of Arizona campus in the heart of the Old Pueblo!
This cross-country style 5K races though the Buckelew family farm and both the 5K and the FitKidz mile include portions of their wild and crazy corn maze!
Tucson Medical Center ‘A’ Mountain Half Marathon, Tucson Lifestyle 5K and Cox Charities 1 Mile. SAR is proud to bring you the biggest half-marathon event in Southern Arizona.
There’s nothing that warms our collective heart more than seeing kids out running and having a great time. That was the thinking behind the creation of SAR’s FitKidz racing series and the 2nd annual Sabino Canyon 1 Mile Kids Classic was again the perfect venue to showcase so much that is good in our fair city. Produced in conjunction with the Friends of Sabino Canyon, we had nearly 300 little ones register to run. Close to 200 kids finished and we think some of you may have forgotten to wear your timing chips but regardless, it was a great turnout and a significant increase from last year. Our winners came across the line in just over 7 minutes – very impressive! Equally as impressive were the smiles and effort of all the finishers!
As always we have many people to thank. We appreciate the Forest Service for allowing us to hold the event in this magnificent canyon, Lahsha Brown and Fred Blatt from the Friends of Sabino Canyon who had lots of goodies for the kids after they finished. The FOSC also had their bike patrol out in force helping to ensure the kids turned around at the half mile point and that they were totally safe along the way. Many thanks also to Petunia the clown for all of the fantastic face-painting and for staying late to make sure every last child who wanted to got some personal art work. Our good friend and FitKidz sponsor Larry Montoya from Caps & More was on hand with his kids enjoying the event and handing out free stuff for the participants. We also owe a hearty thank you to our other FitKidz sponsors, without whom we would not be able to put on these events for free; Tucson Medical Center, Champ Youth Sports, the International Wildlife Museum, Mary & Robert, Brooks and the RRCA’s Kids Run the Nation program.
Producing this race is a large undertaking. We’re giving the kids the full race experience and that means many hours of prep work and many hours on race day to make it happen. As the Race Director I was assisted by a cadre of awesome people. Special thanks go to the leader of our SAR Board’s Kids Action Committee, Diane Manzini and fellow committee member Doreen Davis. They did a huge amount of work to make the event a reality. We’d also like to thank incoming SAR President Tim Bentley for all of his help on race morning and all of the great work on the microphone, Kerry Whelan for his fantastic photos, and volunteers Christine A. Anderson, Monica Bermudez, Lauren Sheehan, Linda Whelan, Kate Woodard, Steve “Blacketts” Hughes, SAR Board Members Randy Accetta and Gary Giese, Nancy Fuller, Tera Estes, Don Taylor, Tia Accetta for leading the kids in some fun warm up drills, and Robin Gerard. Thanks so much to all of you.
We hope to see everyone out at the next FitKidz event, The Great Pumpkin run at Buckelew Farms on October 12, 2014. And, don’t forget to tell a bunch of your friends about it and bring them with you!
For more information on the FitKidz racing series and to find out how you can get involved, please contact Diane Manzini and email@example.com or visit the FitKidz page on our website at http://www.azroadrunners.org/go/category/about/fitkidz_racing_series.
SAR President and Race Director, Sabino Canyon 1 Mile Kids ClassicMore
Raffle prizes, free t-shirt, medallions for finishers, children's activities including jumping castles & face painting, scenic Downtown venue, snacks, drinks, and music . . . plus friends, smiles, & laughter ...what more can you ask for? Oh, right, you want low prices. Well, you got it -- sign up by October 1st and save $10 on the TMC A-Mountain Half-Marathon $5 on the Tucson Lifestyle 5k walk/run. And of course, the Cox Charities One Mile will always be free! Sign up online here.
TMC Get Moving Tucson raises funds for Cox Charities, Big Brothers Big Sisters Tucson, Child & Family Resources, and other local organizations. The half-marathon is part of the Running Shop Grand Prix produced by the Southern Arizona Roadrunners.More
1. Carpool, Carpool, Carpool. Did I mention that it would be best to carpool as much as possible? The main canyon lot holds many vehicles but Saturday mornings are very busy at Sabino Canyon. This one will be busier than normal because this is National Public Lands Day so parking is free and there are also a number of other special events being held. There will be some overflow parking (signs will guide you to it if it is needed) but there will be about 1/2 mile walk from the overflow lot to the Start/Finish area, located at mile post 0 on the main road into the canyon.
2. PLAN ON ARRIVING EARLY - WELL BEFORE 7AM, to ensure you get a good parking spot and that you have plenty of time to pick up your bib and t-shirt. This will also give you time to enjoy some of the pre-race activities such as face painting and fun work out and stretching drills.
3. YES, THERE WILL BE RACE DAY REGISTRATION ALLOWED. Again, please arrive early so that you have ample time to fill out the registration form. Registration and packet pickup (for those who have pre-registered) will open at 6:30am and close promptly at 7:15am.
4. ON-LINE REGISTRATION WILL CLOSE THURSDAY, 9/25/14, AT MIDNIGHT.
5. If your child does not yet have a FitKidz t-shirt they can pick up a free one on race morning. If they already have a FitKidz shirt please have them wear it to the race!
6. YES, PARENTS MAY RUN WITH THEIR CHILDREN! However, only the kids will be timed. We will have a special waiver form for parents / guardians to sign if they plan on running with their kids!
7. This event is being put on in conjunction with the Friends of Sabino Canyon (FOSC) which does fantastic work making the canyon a safe and fun place for us to visit. The FOSC will be there at the event with us with some information and cool free stuff for the kids. Make sure you stop by and thank them!
8. Our FitKidz events are made possible through not only the hard work of our SAR Board Members and volunteers, but also our sponsors, Tucson Medical Center, Champ Youth Kids, Caps & More, The International Wildlife Museum, RRCA Kids Run the Nation Program, Brooks and Mary & Robert.
9. All finishers will receive a cool ribbon and the top 3 boys and girls finishers will receive a special medal!
10. Please only register kids that are not yet in middle school.
If you have any questions not addressed above please contact the Race Director, Steve Outridge, at firstname.lastname@example.orgMore