We regret to inform you that due to the ongoing government shutdown, this year’s 4 mile / 1 mile run and walk event at Saguaro National Park West is cancelled. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. We invite you to explore other Beyond events taking place around Tucson this Saturday, January 12th. A full schedule of events can be found at https://www.beyond-tucson.org/events/. For a list of upcoming Southern Arizona Roadrunners running and walking events, please visit our race calendar, as well as our community events calendar. Again, our sincere apologies for this cancellation.More
As part of the 2016 BEYOND events, the National Park Service and the Southern Arizona Roadrunners will team up for a free, non-competitive four mile and one mile social run/walk on the roads of Saguaro National Park West on Saturday morning, January 9th. Runners and walkers of all ages and abilities are invited but, please, no wheeled vehicles and no pets. The course will include rolling dirt roads and plenty of gorgeous National Park scenery. The run will not be officially timed and there will be no awards or posted results but participants must register. Due to parking and trail usage concerns, this free event is limited to 400 participants. Go here to grab your space.More
Start Time: Saturday, 1/10/15: 8:30AM
We are greatly looking forward to this celebration of our community and commemoration of the tragic events four years ago. Please read all of the information below carefully to help maximize your experience:
1. Carpool as much as possible and plan on arriving prior to 8am to check in and get a good parking spot! The fewer vehicles that need to be parked the shorter the walk to the start and the quicker the departure for everyone.
2. The easiest way to get to Saguaro National Park West is to head to the Sonora Desert Museum and continue north past the museum on Kinney Road. The visitor center for the park is at 2700 N Kinney Road. Continue on Kinney Road past the visitor center continuing towards the intersection with Hohokam Road Watch your speed and be alert for folks who will be there to direct you for parking. You will be parking in the Northbound lane of Kinney Road starting from the intersection with Hohokam Road and working south.
3. The SAR Start/Finish line will be set up on Hohokam Road just off the intersection with Kinney Road. There will be refreshments and porta potties in a pull out area just south of the intersection of Kinney and Hohokam.
4. Both the 4 mile and 1 mile event will be out and backs on Hohokham road and will start and finish in the same location. The 4 mile will start at 8:30am and the 1 mile will start at 8:40am.
5. The Park Service will be giving away some free passes to the park and will have activities for the kids so be sure to stick around after you finish!
6. Also, we'd love for you to explore the park after the event but please ensure you do not leave your vehicle on Kinney Road. You must move it to an approved parking area immediately following the event.
Thanks much and we'll see you out there!
Vice President, Southern Arizona RoadrunnersMore