** DUE TO ONGOING SAFETY CONCERNS AND POLICIES RELATED TO THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC, THE 2020 IN PERSON VERSION OF THIS RACE HAS BEEN CANCELED. **
With the upcoming heat of summer and the fully packed fall race schedule we will NOT be rescheduling the in person race for 2020.
** REGISTRATION ONLINE STILL AVAILABLE UNTIL 5/23/20 ONLY FOR THOSE THAT WANT TO REGISTER TO RUN/WALK THE VIRTUAL 10K/5K OR DAVE'S DOUBLE!
BY DOING THE VIRTUAL RACE AS DESCRIBED BELOW YOU WILL THEN BE ABLE TO PICK UP YOUR SUPER COOL RACE SHIRT AND FINISHER MEDAL! WE WILL ALSO POST YOUR RESULTS ONLINE! AND, YOU WILL BE HELPING WITH THE FIGHT AGAINST ALS AND SUPPORTING YOUR LOCAL RUNNING CLUB AT THE SAME TIME!
IF YOU WERE REGISTERED PRIOR TO 5/17, WHAT ARE YOUR CURRENT OPTIONS AS SOMEONE WHO ALREADY REGISTERED FOR THIS RACE?
OPTION 1: Do the race virtually. Go to the Google Form HERE and fill it out to tell us about your Virtual run, which you can do on any course of your choice only between Monday, May 18 and Sunday, May 24, 2020. After your virtual run is completed you can head down to the Running Shop at 3055 N Campbell Ave #153, Tucson, AZ 85719 to pick up your shirt and medal (and sunglasses if you do Dave's Double). Please make sure to pick up your items at The Running Shop by the end of May 2020.
OPTION 2: You can defer your entry until next year's Dave's Run for ALS. If you don't do the Virtual race, you will be automatically deferred to the 2021 event. There is nothing else that you need to do.
*Refunds are not possible per SAR policy due to the fact that many expenses have already been incurred with this race. We hope you will bear with us and understand that many of the expenses for this event have already been incurred.
WHERE: Curtis Park near River and La Cholla. The park is on Curtis road just west of the 'Sporting Chance' building.
OVERVIEW: The 20th annual Dave's Run for ALS is an event for runners and walkers of all ages and abilities. The event honors the late David Filer who was an avid runner, active SAR member, and local business owner. David was diagnosed with ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig’s Disease, in the summer of 2000. Currently there is no cure for this fatal disease. A portion of the proceeds from the event will go specifically for ALS research, via the Jim Himelic foundation.
PACKET PICKUP: Saturday, May 23, 2020 from 10am - 1pm at The Running Shop at 3055 N Campbell Blvd.
TOP 10 REASONS TO DO THIS EVENT:
- MEDALS: Medals for every finsher of the 5K & 10K!
- TECH SHIRT: Technical running shirt for every registrant of the 5K & 10K!
- FREE: eegees for participants!
- FREE: bagels (most likely), fruit and snacks!
- FREE: kids activities such as facepainting and jumping castle!
- FREE: coffee courtesy of our amazing friends from Team Hoyt Arizona!
- TEAM PRIZE: team with most 5K & 10K registrants wins FREE eegees party worth $150!
- FLAT AND FAST COURSES: USATF certified flat and fast courses (electronically chip timed)
- FUN FOR WHOLE FAMILY: One Mile FitKidz (FREE for kids 12&under) and Family Run/Walk
- EARN POINTS: The 5K race is part of The Running Shop SAR Grand Prix series.
*PLEASE NOTE ONLY THE 5K IS PART OF THE RUNNING SHOP GRAND PRIX!
VOLUNTEERS NEEDED: Please click HERE to help out!
DAVE'S DOUBLE: What is DAVE's DOUBLE? It is a special challenge for those that want to test their mettle by racing the 5K and 10K back to back! Sound a little out there? It is, but it has become amazingly popular!
RACE DIRECTOR: Steve Outridge. Contact Steve here.
Date and Time
IN-PERSON EVENT CANCELLED. RACE NOW VIRTUAL ONLY
Sunday, May 24, 2020
6:30 AM - 5K Run/Walk
7:40 AM - 10K
7:45 AM - 1 Mile FitKidz & Family Run/Walk
- Awards for the 10K & 5K run/walk
- For both the 5K & 10K, awards will be given for first 3 in the open overall and master’s categories and in 5-year age groups! Please note that only the 5K is a part of The Running Shop SAR Grand Prix Series.
- All participants will receive an official event gift and will be eligible for raffle prizes!
THERE WILL BE NO PACKET PICKUP OR RACE DAY REGISTRATION FOR 2020
- Packet Pick-up will be held the day before the race, Saturday, May 23, 2020, from 10am - 1pm at The Running Shop, 3055 N Campbell Ave Suite 153.
- Packet Pick-up and race day registration will also be available race morning beginning at 6am.
Pima County Parks and Recreation