Join us on Sunday, March 19, 2017 for the Marana 5000!
Marana 5000 is an event for runners and walkers of all ages and abilities. The event honors the late David Filer who was an avid runner, active SAR member, and local business owner. David was diagnosed with ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig’s Disease, in the summer of 2000. Currently there is no cure for this fatal disease. A portion of the proceeds from the event will go specifically for ALS research, via the Jim Himelic foundation.
- USATF certified 5K flat and fast course (electronically chip timed)
- One Mile FitKidz and Family Fitness Fun Run/Walk
- FREE eegees for participants!
- Team Registration - the team with the most 5K registrants will win a FREE eegees party valued at $150!
- Plenty of fun activities for kids including facepainting and a jumping castle obstacle course!
- The 5K race is part of The Running Shop SAR Grand Prix series.
RACE DIRECTOR: Steve Outridge. Contact Steve here.
Date and Time
Sunday, March 19, 2017
8:30 AM (5K Run/Walk)
9:15 AM (1 Mile Family Fitness Fun Run/Walk)
- Awards are limited to the competitive 5K run/walk
- Awards will be given for first 3 in the open overall and master’s categories and in 5-year age groups.
- All participants will receive an official event gift and will be eligible for raffle prizes!
- Packet Pick-up will be held the day before the race, Saturday, March 18, 2017, from 10am - 2pm at The Running Shop, 3055 N Campbell Ave Suite 153.
- Packet Pick-up and race day registration will also be available race morning from 7-8:15am.
A portion of the race proceeds will benefit ALS research through the JIm Himelic Foundation.
Again this year we're announcing:
Dave's ICE Bucket Challenge
Help support the Jim Himelic Foundation by participating in Dave's ICE Bucket Challenge!
Many of you have heard of the Ice Bucket Challenge. But, did you know that this challenge was created by the ALS Foundation to help them raise awareness for the fight against ALS? We'd like to challenge those folks participating in Dave's Run for ALS to our own version of the challenge which we're calling, "Dave's Ice Bucket Challenge".
As you know, Dave's Run for ALS is name after David Filer, who was an avid runner, active SAR member, and local businessman diagnosed with ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig’s Disease, in the summer of 2000. The event benefits the Jim Himelic Foundation which raises funds for ALS Research at the University of Arizona.
Simply let your friends and family know that after the race you will have a bucket of ice water dumped on your head and all you need them to do is to donate in your honor to the Jim Himelic Foundation.
What do I need to do?
1. Prior to March 13, 2017, send an email to co-Race Director Steve Outridge stating your intention to participate in Dave's Ice Bucket Challenge.
2. Get your friends and family to donate to the Jim Himelic Foundation in your honor following the instructions below.
3. Track your donations on the form which you can download here: http://www.azroadrunners.org/images/uploads/DavesRunDonationForm2015.pdf and make sure to bring your form on race day.
4. Come out to run or walk the 5K at Dave's Run for ALS on 3/19/17. After the finish and before the award ceremony we will have all of the folks participating come on up, give you a shout out including the amount of money raised, and finally dump a bucket of ICE water on you!
What do my friends and family need to do?
1. They can go on-line to the Jim Himelic Foundation website and click the link for their on-line donations: http://www.jimhimelicfoundation.org/ and let you know the amount they donated so you can write it on the donation form.
2. They can give you cash or check and you can bring it with you on race day and give it to the Race Directors who will give it to the Jim Himelic Foundation Team.
What will the Race Director do?
1. Race Director Steve Outridge promises to put on the very best event they can for all of you and that all of the funds raised through Dave's Ice Bucket Challenge go directly to the Jim Himelic Foundation!.
2. As an added challenge on race day, race day donations will be collected and if we can raise at least $100, Race Director Steve Outridge will get a bucket of ice water dumped on his own head!
3. Provide plenty of water and ice on race day!
Town of Marana and Marana Parks and Recreation.