TMC Meet Me Downtown 5k Night Run/WalkSaturday, June 1, 2013 / 5k Night Run/Walk
May 21 Details: Click here for recent eblast with all the updates on TMC Meet Me Downtown and the Gabe Zimmerman Triple Crown.
Lorraine Moller, four-time Olympian and bronze medal winner in the 1992 Olympic Marathon in Barcelona, will attend the June 1 TMC Meet Me Downtown Night Run and Walk. Currently the President of the Arthur Lydiard Foundation, one of the most influential running non-profits in the world, Lorraine won the 1982 Boston Marathon and was three-time champion of both the Avon Women’s World Marathon Championship and Osaka International Ladies Marathon. As President of the Lydiard Foundation (http://www.lydiardfoundation.org) based on Boulder, Colorado, Lorraine is a sought-after public speaker who leads training camps and international coaching education workshops. She is the author of the acclaimed “On the Wings of Mercury,” her autobiography focusing on training, racing, and women’s running from her teen-age years to being an undefeated professional master’s runner. Lorraine will be speaking and signing copies of her book on Friday night, May 31st, at The Running Shop. More details on Lorraine’s special visit to Tucson will be announced soon.
Click here for more details on the June 1 TMC Meet Me Downtown Night Run and Walk.
Click here for online registration—including free registration for the Children’s Mile with Mayor Rothschild—and the Team Challenge Registration.
Team Discounts, Free Children’s Mile, RRCA State Championship and more! Spread the word and like the Meet Me Downtown facebook page
* Team Discount Sign up online here or by mailing in the SAR form. Biggest team receives $150 gift to Maynard’s Kitchen, and all teams eligible for $150 to Hotel Congress and Cup Cafe. Team registration ends May 24th.
* Super-fast course along the wide Downtown boulevards with neighbor support, plus prize money for top finishers and age group awards in 5-year categories
* Free Children’s Mile starts at 6:30 PM—we want every child in Tucson to walk or run a mile with Mayor Rothschild. Everyone is free—so bring your family and do a mile with the kids!
* Cox Communications is providing jumping castles and TMC and the Children’s Museum are hosting play activities for the kids
* Local daredevils Cirque Roots will do a fire show after the race
* Local energy bar company Julie Bar is setting up Julie’sBar with post-race beer samples from local breweries - we’re still in the permit stage, but it looks good for the beer garden!
* Sprouts Farmer’s Market is providing post-race snacks
* Tucson’s music queen, LeeAnne Savage and the Cosmic Cowboys, will rock the house
* Traditional Post-Race After-Party at Hotel Congress with 2-4-1 drinks and more
* Customized technical men’s and women’s t-shirts
* PhotoFunBooth will be on hand to snap your group’s photo
Middle-of-the-pack Award Donated by Etherton Galleries: the person who is the exact middle of the finishing results on race night will receive the wonderful A Gift of Angels: The Art of San Xaxier de Bac, by the renowned art historian Bernard Fontana
* Special thanks to the City of Tucson, the Tucson Police Department, and Rural Metro for providing the resources to produce a safe and healthy Downtown event!
WANNA’ HOST A CHEER ZONE?
TEAM CHALLENGE DETAILS
Make a team! Join with others from your work, gym, bootcamp, or church—just register in teams of 5 or more! All team members receive the discounted price of $20 per person. Sign up online here or by mailing in the SAR form. The team with the most participants receives a $150 gift certificate to Maynard’s Kitchen. All teams are entered into a raffle and one team will be selected to receive a $150 gift certificate to Hotel Congress and Cup Cafe. Team registration ends May 24th.
First Leg of the 2013 Gabe Zimmerman Triple Crown
Meet Me Downtown is honored to once again be the first leg of the Gabe Zimmerman Triple Crown. Gabe lost his life in the January 2011 shooting here in Tucson, but his legacy lives on. From the Gabe Zimmerman Davison Canyon Trailhead to the Gabe Zimmerman Meeting Room at the U.S. Capital, Gabe’s presence will forever be a part of our community. The Triple Crown donates $10 from every entry to Gabe’s favorite non-profit, Child and Family Resources.
For those new to local running events, Meet Me Downtown is produced by the Southern Arizona Roadrunners—a member-driven non-profit devoted to promoting health and wellness through running and walking. If you are not a SAR member, please consider joining—you can save all sorts of money off race entry fees, receive discounts to many local merchants, and be part of a great community of people. See http://azroadrunners.org/go/category/membership/join for details.
This race is part of The Running Shop Grand Prix, produced by SAR.
Date and Time
Saturday, June 1, 2013, 6:30 Free Children’s Mile with 5k race and walk at 7:00 pm
Race Distances and Courses
Click here to see the 3.1 mile course that will let you share the fun with walkers and runners of all abilities. The start/finish will be at 200 South SIxth Avenue, in front of the Children’s Museum. The course will wind through cool neighborhood boulevards and colorful streets.
Strollers are absolutely welcome— due to insurance regulations, no dogs, roller blades, bicycles, or other wheels. The course is wheelchair-friendly.
Downtown Tucson. Why Downtown? Downtown is the hub of our diverse region, and since we started the race in 2007, we’ve been committed to showcasing its beauty and highlights, from shopping, arts, housing, and dining. Interested in visiting Tucson? See what the New York Times says to do with “36 Hours in Tucson”. For more information about the race, check out the Arizona Illustrated news piece by Luis Carrion or the City of Tucson Channel 12 piece from 2008.
There is plenty of nearby parking. See the Downtown Tucson Partnership site for help on navigating the Downtown construction and finding a place to park.
First round of early registration discount ends on March 1st.
$15 All by 3/1/2013
$20 All by 4/15/13
$25 All by 5/24/13 (note, team registration ends on May 24th)
$30 All after 5/24/13 and on event weekend
- Print Registration Form and mail it in. Registration by mail must be postmarked by Saturday, May 25, 2013.
- Register online with a credit card at active.com.
- ONLINE You can sign up online through May 29th. FRIDAY, May 31, 2013 6:00 – 8:00 pm: Wine and Cheese Happy Hour -- join us for an enjoyable evening with registration and packet pickup at the Running Shop, 3055 North Campbell, north of Glenn. SATURDAY, JUNE 1, 2013 10:00 am - 1:00 pm: Registration and packet pick-up at The Running Shop (3055 North Campbell, north of Glenn) 5:00-6:30 pm: Registration and packet pick-up at 200 South Sixth Avenue, in front of the Children’s Museum
Save money, have fun, and make a team! This year, we’re doing a team challenge for companies, non-profits, and other organizations. Each person on a team can register for $20/person. Sign up online here or Each member must complete a form and sign a waiver, 5-participant team minimum. Please include all forms in one submission. Must include team name. Deadline for team registration is May 15.
Team Challenge Awards: the team with the most participants will win a $150 dinner gift certificate to Maynard’s Kitchen and all teams will be entered into a raffle for an additional $150 dinner gift certificate to Hotel Congress.
Three host hotels, perfect for any budget and any vacation goal!
1) Convenient to I-10: The Hotel Tucson City Center is offering the rate of $59. Just mention that you’re with the Southern Arizona Roadrunners
Hotel Tucson City Center , an InnSuites Boutique Collection Hotel
475 N. Granada Ave. Call 520-622-3000 ext. 808
2) Want an upscale resort? Check out our friends at the JW Marriott Starr Pass for the special resort rate of $129 a night; the Marriott Starr Pass is a few miles from Downtown in the midst of the Tucson Mountains. Click here.
3) Want a romantic bed and breakfast steps from the starting line? Check out the Royal Elizabeth and tell ‘em you’re with the race. Click here.
All 5k registrants will receive a t-shirt and will be eligible for a variety of raffle prizes. To help promote excellence in running, the TMC Meet Me Downtown event will provide the following prize money: for the men we’re offering $100 to the first five men who break 15:15, with another $100 for first place and another $100 for breaking the course record of 14:30.4, which Ian Burrell has done twice in a row. For the women, we’re offering $100 to the first five women who break 18:00, with another $100 for first place and another $100 for breaking the course record off 17:23 by former UA Wildcat, Maggie Callahan.
First place overall and master’s will receive a gift certificate to the Running Shop, along with age groups as follows:15 and below, 16-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75-79, 80 and over. First place overall can double-dip in their age group.
GIFT CERTIFICATES TO THE RUNNING SHOP
Overall male, female $50
Master male, female $40
Age group first place $25 at 30 age groups
Age group second place $15
Age group third place: One item from a Running Shop grab bag
Children’s Museum, Tucson
Child and Family Resources
Tucson Museum of Art
Cinema La Placita
Greater Tucson Leadership
Educational Enrichment Foundation
Southern Arizona Roadrunners
Kids' and Post-Race Activities
Don’t forget to smile for the camera – the MMD official race photographer will snap you out on the course, then you can purchase your race photos at www.prphotoshots.com.
After the race, get your free photo taken by PhotoFunBooth – see www.photofunbooth.com.
All evening, children’s activities in front and inside of the Children’s Museum, courtesy of Tucson Medical Center and the Children’s Museum—plus games from The Tucson Racquet and Fitness Club and jumping castles courtesy of Cox Communications.
Free post-race drinks from Nawgin. Participants and guests can also purchase food from the second-ever Running Race Food Truck Round-Up. Plus, we’ll soon announce a list of restaurants and clubs offering racers a discount.
Visit with race beneficiaries and sponsors at the Race Expo on the grassy areas in front of the Children’s Museum.
Fire show by Cirque Roots.
8:30 and onwards: Official post-race party at Hotel Congress and Maynard’s Kitchen. Hotel Congress will host a live band on the patio, and provide 2-4-1 drinks plus special Meet Me Downtown appetizer discounts. Want something more upscale? Head over to Maynard’s Kitchen for a relaxing meal and drinks, with special food and drink discounts.
New sponsors! SAR is pleased to announce that the Tucson Racquet and Fitness Club has become a 2013 sponsor. The TRFC will provide children’s fitness activities on race night. Media partners the Arizona Daily Star, KHIT 107.5, and Cox Communications have signed on again, too! The Running Shop will once again host a Friday night wine & cheese—we’re still finalizing our 2013 special guest. Thanks to artist Pete Marenfeld and RetroTrek for allowing us to use the great retro logo again!
Sponsors: Please patronize our great sponsors!! They believe in a healthy Tucson and they believe in an exciting and active Downtown . . .
Tucson Medical Center
Caliente and the Arizona Daily Star
Snell & Wilmer law firm
City of Tucson, Mayor Rothschild, Tucson Police Department
The Running Shop
Downtown Tucson Partnership
Tucson Racquet and Fitness Club
Little Red Media
Well, it’s early summer in Tucson - the weather will no doubt be hot. But check out Tucson’s current conditions and forecast for up-to-date information.
Results2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 |
- Contact the Southern Arizona Roadrunners Hotline at (520) 326-9383 for more information.