SAVE THE DATE: As the RRCA 2014 National 5k Championships, we are thinking of moving the race to the Saturday night of Memorial Day, May 24, 2014. What do you think? Take our survey here!!
Sign up early for a cool $15
There are a billion cool photos at the SAR facebook page—be sure to “like” SAR at www.facebook.com/Southern.Arizona.Roadrunners. Thanks to Kerry Whelan and all those who have posted photos—please feel free to upload your race night shots, too!
TMC MEET ME DOWNTOWN 5K NIGHT RUN and WALK
If you won an age-group award, please go to The Running Shop, 3055 North Campbell to pick up your award. Likewise, if you did not receive a shirt for some reason, we have plenty of the green-sleeve shirts at The Running Shop.
GABE ZIMMERMAN TRIPLE CROWN
Thank you to all who are participating in the 2013 Gabe Zimmerman Triple Crown! If you ran the TMC Meet Me Downtown Night Run but did NOT pick up your shirt and Ben’s Bells Kindness Coin, you can pick up your shirts and coins at The Running Shop, 3055 North Campbell, during regular business hours. Our friends at The Running Shop have a list of everyone who has signed up, so they’ll check you off and give you your awards.
If you want to register for the 2013 Gabe Zimmerman Triple Crown, you still can. Follow the link to the active.com online registration, or fill in the hard-copy form on the SAR site. Please note: if you ran the TMC Meet Me Downtown, you will be eligible for the full set of Ben’s Bells commemorative awards.
Updated Friday, May 31: Click here for information on registration, packet pick-up, and all the details you could possibly care about for this weekend’s TMC Meet Me Downtown 5k Night Run and Walk
* Team Discount Sign up online here or by mailing in the SAR form. Biggest team receives $150 gift to Maynard’s Kitchen, and all teams eligible for $150 to Hotel Congress and Cup Cafe. Team registration ends May 24th.
* Super-fast course along the wide Downtown boulevards with neighbor support, plus prize money for top finishers and age group awards in 5-year categories
* Free Children’s Mile starts at 6:30 PM—we want every child in Tucson to walk or run a mile with Mayor Rothschild. Everyone is free—so bring your family and do a mile with the kids!
* Cox Communications is providing jumping castles and TMC and the Children’s Museum are hosting play activities for the kids
* Local daredevils Cirque Roots will do a fire show after the race
* Local energy bar company Julie Bar is setting up Julie’sBar with post-race beer samples from local breweries - we’re still in the permit stage, but it looks good for the beer garden!
* Sprouts Farmer’s Market is providing post-race snacks
* Tucson’s music queen, LeeAnne Savage and the Cosmic Cowboys, will rock the house
* Traditional Post-Race After-Party at Hotel Congress with 2-4-1 drinks and more
* Customized technical men’s and women’s t-shirts
* PhotoFunBooth will be on hand to snap your group’s photo
Middle-of-the-pack Award Donated by Etherton Galleries: the person who is the exact middle of the finishing results on race night will receive the wonderful A Gift of Angels: The Art of San Xaxier de Bac, by the renowned art historian Bernard Fontana
* Special thanks to the City of Tucson, the Tucson Police Department, and Rural Metro for providing the resources to produce a safe and healthy Downtown event!
WANNA’ HOST A CHEER ZONE?
TEAM CHALLENGE DETAILS
Make a team! Join with others from your work, gym, bootcamp, or church—just register in teams of 5 or more! All team members receive the discounted price of $20 per person. Sign up online here or by mailing in the SAR form. The team with the most participants receives a $150 gift certificate to Maynard’s Kitchen. All teams are entered into a raffle and one team will be selected to receive a $150 gift certificate to Hotel Congress and Cup Cafe. Team registration ends May 24th.
First Leg of the 2013 Gabe Zimmerman Triple Crown
Meet Me Downtown is honored to once again be the first leg of the Gabe Zimmerman Triple Crown. Gabe lost his life in the January 2011 shooting here in Tucson, but his legacy lives on. From the Gabe Zimmerman Davison Canyon Trailhead to the Gabe Zimmerman Meeting Room at the U.S. Capital, Gabe’s presence will forever be a part of our community. The Triple Crown donates $10 from every entry to Gabe’s favorite non-profit, Child and Family Resources.
For those new to local running events, Meet Me Downtown is produced by the Southern Arizona Roadrunners—a member-driven non-profit devoted to promoting health and wellness through running and walking. If you are not a SAR member, please consider joining—you can save all sorts of money off race entry fees, receive discounts to many local merchants, and be part of a great community of people. See http://azroadrunners.org/go/category/membership/join for details.
This race is part of The Running Shop Grand Prix, produced by SAR.
Check out the great photos of the 2012 race and perhaps purchase some for a keepsake at http://www.prphotoshots.com and the race-specific link here.
Date and Time
Saturday, May 30, 2014, 6:30 Free Children’s Mile with 5k race and walk at 7:00 pm
Details for 2014 to be announced—this is what we did in 2013
All 5k registrants will receive a t-shirt and will be eligible for a variety of raffle prizes. To help promote excellence in running, the TMC Meet Me Downtown event will provide the following prize money: for the men we’re offering $100 to the first five men who break 15:15, with another $100 for first place and another $100 for breaking the course record of 14:30.4, which Ian Burrell has done twice in a row. For the women, we’re offering $100 to the first five women who break 18:00, with another $100 for first place and another $100 for breaking the course record off 17:23 by former UA Wildcat, Maggie Callahan.
First place overall and master’s will receive a gift certificate to the Running Shop, along with age groups as follows:15 and below, 16-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75-79, 80 and over. First place overall can double-dip in their age group.
GIFT CERTIFICATES TO THE RUNNING SHOP
Overall male, female $50
Master male, female $40
Age group first place $25 at 30 age groups
Age group second place $15
Age group third place: One item from a Running Shop grab bag