September 7th Update:
1) Read the race report here.
2) Erik Wilkerson from Oro Valley Photography has emailed race participants with information on purchasing your amazing souvenir photos from this scenic race. Here is the link to his catalogue of race photos. The social media sized images are available for FREE through the photo sponsorship by Costa Vida Tucson. You can post directly to your social media from the icons on the bottom of the image. Additionally, you can right-click on your image to download. The password for the FREE download is the avenue name for Costa Vida Tucson. For all of you using social media, please tag @RunSAR and @RunTucson with hashtags #TMCSaguaro #GabeZimmermanTripleCrown #RunSAR #RunTucson with photo credit to @orovalleyphotography.
2) Check results here. If you won an age group prize, you can pick up your awards throughout the month of September at The Running Shop (3055 North Campbell).
3) We're in the process of ordering another round of shirts for the 27 of you who didn't get a shirt on race day. These are customized shirts, and we hope to have them at The Running Shop for pick up within a few weeks.
4) We will have the Saguaro portion of the Virtual Triple Crown medals at The Running Shop by September 9th.
5) Will are working with our supplier to order more of the large Cactus Medal for the Triple Crown participants. We'll know more shortly and will get in touch with Triple Crown participants.
Questions? Contact race director Randy Accetta here.
September 4th Updates:
- Click here for all the race weekend details, including information on Monday packet pickup, parking, photography, timing, start times, restrooms, the Triple Crown, and more.
- Click here for a list of all entrants as of September 1st.
- Thank you for your interest, but registration closed at midnight, August 31st. However, we have created a discount code to the TMC Get Moving Tucson half-marathon or 5k on Halloween weekend. You can register online for either of those races and get a $10 discount -- use SOLDOUTSAGUARO as the discount code. You can find race details at http://azroadrunners.org/races/detail/gmt. The discount code is through Friday, September 9th and is good for the first 15 registrants.
- Please remember that all registrations are final, with no refunds or transfers to other races. The race will take place rain or shine.
- We will have water at Miles 2, 4, 6, and 7 in the 8-mile race and miles 1 and 2 in the 5k. Still, it will be hot, so please feel free to bring a water bottle if you will be running for more than 80-90 minutes.
Special thanks to new race sponsor The Vitamin Shoppe and Rincon Air Conditioning and Heating and Arizona Roofing -- thanks to local businesses for supporting our running community!
Did you know that this year is the 100th Anniversary of the National Park Service? We celebrate this in our new race logo!
This scenic course and the post-race festivities truly embrace the spirit of the old Southwest, making the 47th Saguaro National Park Labor Day Run a regional favorite. Our rolling 8-mile and 5k courses loop through the rugged cactus forest in the foothills of the scenic Rincon Mountains at Saguaro National Park East. This event has been featured as a Runner’s World Race of the Month and is currently featured in Runner's World online as one of the few races to take place on National Park Land. We are very appreciative of the Saguaro National Park staff for allowing us to run at the park. Prize money, gift certificates, age group awards, and nifty super-cool t-shirt -- plus bragging rights for doing all those hills . . .
Produced by the Southern Arizona Roadrunners with help from more than 100 volunteers, the 2016 TMC Saguaro Labor Day will raise over $10,000 for local organizations, including Saguaro National Park, Friends of Saguaro National Park, and Child and Family Resources.
Saguaro is the second race in the 2016 Gabe Zimmerman Triple Crown (including June's TMC Meet Me Downtown 5k Night Run/Walk and October's TMC Get Moving Tucson Half-Marathon and 5k). Please note, $10 from each Triple Crown entry will be donated to Gabe’s favorite non-profit, Child and Family Resources. Additional Tucson-based organizations will receive a portion of the proceeds from the individual events. To donate directly to Child and Family Resources, click here. To donate directly to the Gabe Zimmerman Memorial Fund established by Child and Family Resources, click here to go to their PayPal site
Questions? Email or call Randy Accetta, SAR race director at 520-991-0733
Date and Time
Race Start: 5k at 6:20 am, 8 mile at 6:30 a.m.
The TMC Saguaro National Park 8-miler is part of SAR's 2016 Running Shop Desert Grand Prix. Thanks to The Running Shop for all the award gift certificates.
$50 Cash - Given to the fastest male and female who equals or betters their age in time in the 8-mile run (+10 minutes for women).
$200 for first man and first woman who sets a new course record in the 8-mile.
Women's Course Record: Stephanie Wessel 47:44 (1990)
Men's Course Record: Craig Curley 41:39 (2008)
Overall 1st: $40 gc to Running Shop + one pair of Saguaro Running Shop socks
Overall 2nd: $30 gc + sock
Overall 3rd: $20 gc + sock
Masters 1st: $20 gc + sock
AG 1st: $15 + sock
AG 2nd: $10 + sock
AG 3rd: sock
8M: U19, 20-24, ... 70-74, 75 and over
Overall 1st: $25 gc + sock
Overall 2nd: $20 gc + sock
Overall 3rd: $15 gc + sock
Masters 1st: $15 gc + sock
AG 1st in 10-year categories U-10 - 70+: one pair of socks
In this race, there is no double-dipping. Overall top three and first place masters will be taken out of all Age Group awards.
Parking: Park safely along Old Spanish Trail, Freeman Road, and Escalante. Please don’t block driveways or bike paths. Carpooling is strongly recommended. The earlier you arrive, the shorter your warm-up jog!
Park Fee: The National Park Service has been gracious about allowing us access to the beautiful park. The Park Service asks that all participants pay the standard $5 entry fee to the park. This amount will go directly to the National Parks Service. If you buy an annual pass to the national parks (or are under 16 years of age), this fee will be waived if you provide your permit number on your entry form. For information on an annual park pass, see visit this page, or visit any national park and inquire at entry. Race entry fees also include labor cost of additional park rangers required for the event.
Tanque Verde Guest Ranch Looking for a place to spend Sunday night? Award-winning guest ranch, Tanque Verde Ranch, is offering all Saguaro participants a discounted week-end, single-night, or all-inclusive package. Contact LeighAnn at 520-731-5562.
In 2016, we're partnering with Cox Charities to provide funds to the great folks at Friends of Saguaro National Par through Cox Charities. Friends of Saguaro will receive a portion of race proceeds to help continue their great work of ensuring a healthy and spectacular National Park.
Other beneficiaries include the cross country programs of Sahuaro High School, Catalina High School, and St. Augustine High School, as well as the SAR Children's Fitness Fund.
This is the second race in the 2016 Gabe Zimmerman Triple Crown (including the TMC Meet Me Downtown 5k Night Run/Walk and the October 29/30 TMC Get Moving Tucson Half-Marathon Event, including the A-Mountain Half-Marathon, the Tucson Lifestyle 5k and the Cox Charities One-Mile). Please note, $10 from each Triple Crown entry will be donated to Gabe’s favorite non-profit, Child and Family Resources. Additional Tucson-based organizations will receive a portion of the proceeds from the individual events.
To donate directly to Child and Family Resources, <a href="http://www.childfamilyresources.org/" title="click here">click here</a>. To donate directly to the Gabe Zimmerman Memorial Fund established by Child and Family Resources, click here to go to <a href="https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_flow&SESSION=W6utGQ_zIe-FrjokQIAXpYROj7o4Qmk2CFQXv5wrk4Yb-vTL87MTyUp2bXK&dispatch=5885d80a13c0db1f8e263663d3faee8d5863a909c4bb5aeebb52c6e1151bdaa9" title="their PayPal site">their PayPal site</a>.
Title Sponsor: Tucson Medical Center. A special thanks to Tucson Medical Center for all their support of the Southern Arizona Roadrunners and the local health and fitness community. Due to TMC’s financial contribution, we’re able to have technical shirts for participants and we’re able to donate more funds to SAR’s Children’s Fitness Fund and other beneficiaries of this race. Thanks TMC!!